Hello to all volunteers, families, friends, and community members!
I am Alex the project supervisor for this exchange and I am excited to be working with you in some way or another in the coming months! The youth volunteers will be in Kingston from October 20 - December 21, 2014
We have a few events coming up in the community!
Nov 22 - Find us at various grocery stores in Kingston to donate to HIV/AIDS Regional Services
Nov 28 - Gender Safety Audit - Join us to survey a couple areas of Kingston and make recommendations on how we can better prevent gender based violence through environmental improvements
Dec 7 - Vietnam Day - Join us to celebrate our exchange, hear stories about what we have been up to, taste some Vietnamese cuisine and enjoy performances by the group members
FIND US ON FACEBOOK HERE
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Info about Canada World Youth can be found at http://canadaworldyouth.org/
Saturday 14 June 2014
So you are interested in hosting?
Host families are an integral part of the experience for our youth volunteers, allowing them the opportunity to see and experience the community from diverse perspectives, in a safe and comfortable environment.
We invite people of all ages, ethnicities, faiths, genders, sexual orientations, family types, and more to express their interest. Since 1971, more than 36,000 youth from Canada and around the world have participated in Canada World Youth projects.
The program dates in Kingston are October 20 - December 21, 2014
What it entails
- Hosting 2 youth volunteers (1 Canadian and 1 Vietnamese - "counterparts", both will be the same gender, between ages 17 and 24)
- 1 room is all that is needed (2 is ok too!), ideally participants have their own bed (I can help you arrange for this!)
- You will include the volunteers as family members and provide 3 meals a day
- You may also contribute to small amounts of transportation if possible, but the youth will have bus passes
Expectations for the youth
- Just as we expect host families to welcome youth into their family, youth are expected to contribute to family life, chores, etc.
- The youth are engaged in volunteer work placements and group activities Monday to Friday
- Canada World Youth has established norms, rules and responsibilities for the youth, and there is a formal disciplinary process should this be necessary - I will share these with you!
What is in it for you?
- A great way to bring the world to your home!
- Learn more about Canada and Vietnam through cultural exchange
- Gain new perspective, spice things up
What support do we offer?
- As CWY has been doing this since 1971 there are numerous support systems in place
- There will be 2 full time project supervisors living in Kingston for the entire program (a Canadian and a Vietnamese) available 24/7
- We will have a intro meeting, as well as a mid-exchange check-in for the host families so you can get to know each other, answer questions, talk about scenarios, preparation, provide some resources on how to prepare, to set expectations, integrate the youth, feeding them, etc
- We will generally manage any medical or behavioural issues
- Host families are given a stipend of $180/week to cover the majority of the extra expenses you will incur
- We will arrange for visits in the home weekly/bi-weekly to check-in with everyone
What is the process?
- Call me, email me, tweet me, comment here! Get in contact! Contacting me does not mean a commitment, but the beginning of a discussion, and potentially a great experience!
- I can respond to any questions, provide more info, discuss the program in person, on the phone, or by email, etc
- When you want to take the next step we will go through an interview process at your home, this is so we can get to know each other, clarify expectations from all sides, discuss logistics, etc. I will also ask for a tour of your entire house.
- Once we confirm your participation as a host family we will request criminal record checks (through an online platform - BackCheck) for all those living in the house over 18 years of age
- Contract of host families
- Then comes a prep meeting for all host families where i will provide some more resources
- We arrive in Kingston October 20 - December 21 after spending 2 months in Vietnam as a group
- Throughout this time the supervisors will come check-in with host families, we will have a mid-project meeting with host families, and at the end will ask you to complete an evaluation